Supporting the international experience of students and staff
International IPL Summer School
This 5-week summer programme fully taught in English offers students a comprehensive programme made of scientific courses, tutorials, French language and culture. Students can choose one of the following specializations:
- Digital sciences for chemists
- Energy and Sustainability
- Agronomy, Agroecology and French Agriculture
- Polymer and material engineering
In addition to these scientific programmes, French language classes are provided for beginners, intermediate and advanced students. Students will also discover French heritage through various cultural, gastronomic and business-oriented visits. Upon completion of the full programme, students are awarded ECTS credits.
In the last 3 years, 100 students of 16 different nationalities have taken part in the IPL Summer School. This programme is offered to over 100 partner universities all over the world.
The Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region supported the programme, funding the creation of the website and registration platform and logistics operation as part of the SCUSI 2017, 2018 and 2019 programmes.
The Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region makes a significant contribution to the international experience of students in Europe and beyond. IPL has coordinated the management of these grants since 2007 and AURA Region allocated funds to finance the post of the officer in charge until 2016.
In 2019 around 570 students were granted the BRMIE, spending over 5,000 weeks abroad for academic courses and work placements. IPL enables an optimal use of Regional subsidies so that the maximum number of students carry out their experience abroad.
IPL Erasmus+ Consortium
IPL has been accredited by the French Erasmus Agency, as an “ERASMUS consortium”, since 2001. The consortium optimizes the use of the grants across the 4 schools, thus :
- Improving the quality of service provided to the student in supporting the exchange of knowledge and best practices for the preparation, support and assessment of placement and study abroad periods.
- Increasing the number of students benefiting of work placements or study abroad periods, as well as the number of partner companies and partner universities abroad.
- Supporting the internationalization of teaching and administrative staff, through STA and STT mobility.
IPL coordinates the project administrative and financial management, so that the schools can dedicate more time to students’ pedagogical support and preparation.
The consortium enables:
- the increase of students and staff skills and abilities to further improve their employabilityy
- the multicultural understanding,
- students adaptability and soft skills (initiative, autonomy, sense of responsibility, open-mindedness, adaptability and flexibility…),
- students’ command of foreign languages,
- in a few words, all skills and abilities to develop student’s career abroad.
For the partner schools the consortium improves the qualityof the preparation, monitoring and assessment of study abroad periods.
At the start in 2001, 24 students were supported by Erasmus through our IPL Consortium. In 2019, 186 students carried out a placement or study abroad period thanks to the Erasmus+ programme. From 2020 on, IPL Consortium coordinates teaching and administrate staff mobility as well as International Credit Mobility programmes.
Internationalization policy and development in Auvergne Rhône-Alpes partner regions
Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region contributes to the internationalization of the 4 schools of Lyon Polytechnic Institute. Thanks to a €15,000 grant from AURA Region, IPL schools promoted their programs on students recruitment fairs in Morocco, Canada, but also in partner universities in the US (Oregon State University, StanState) and in Canada (UBC). AURA grant also helped IPL schools promoting theor programs online during the COVID sanitary crisis, through the StudyPortals platform.
Promoting the integration of international students through French language and cultural support.
The Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region provided funding of up to €15,000* to support the organisation of mutualized French classes, for international students hosted in the 4 IPL schools. Several levels are on offer: beginner, intermediate and advanced, the exploration of French culture is made an integral part of the support offered to the students. (*As part of SCUSI 2018, 2019 and 2020 programmes).
Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region provided funding up to €15,000 to IPL for the organisation of a Staff Week targeted to international university partners of the IPL schools. This project aims to organise training sessions on topical subjects in higher education, and share good pratices on these topics among the participating countries.
(*within the 2019, 2020 and 2021 SCUSI Programmes)